Home > Articole IT > An error occurred with error code ‘2147504141’

An error occurred with error code ‘2147504141’


I have decided to try and install / test the new Exchange 2010. I have downloaded the Beta from the MS site , prepared a Vmware environment with Windows 2008 Enterprise version.
Installed Windows , patched everything , promoted the machine to a DC and I started Exchange 2010 installation.
After promoting to DC , I remembered the computer name was something like : “PC2hjCJS-blablaxxx22x2” and would not be nice when I will have to test OWA and other stuff so I renamed the DC into something more easy to type and started Exchange installation.
All the preparation tasks were complete now and Exchange started installing the roles and checking the perquisites for the roles installation.
When it came to the HUB installation I got a strange Error.

Error:
The execution of: “$error.Clear(); install-ExsetdataAtom -AtomName SMTP -DomainController $RoleDomainController”, generated the following error: “An error occurred with error code ‘2147504141’ and message ‘The property cannot be found in the cache.’.”.

An error occurred with error code ‘2147504141’ and message ‘The property cannot be found in the cache.’.

After digging a while on the web I saw that the error is generated because the IPV6 was ENABLED but did not had an IP address assigned.
You can read a bit more about this on this Technet post :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/8f6ff508-2c09-4140-ba14-eca32bc5bf1d/

I have then tried to manually assign an IP address to the IPV6 – Did not help
I have tried to totally disable IPV6 – it did not help
Tried to follow the instructions on the K952842 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/952842 – did not help

So on Exchange 2007 the install did not work without IPV6 enabled and now on the Exchange 2010 will not work without disabling it ?

Well after a while of trying all kind of stuff I just gave up.

Installed a new Windows 2008 (this time I did a standard edition , just to have some variation) and disabled IPV6 BEFORE I started the Exchange installation.
Patched with all the patches.
Renamed the machine.
Installed IIS and .Net 3.0
Disabled IPV6 on the network adapter and in the registry.
Promoted the machine as DC on a new forest.
Reboot
Started installation and everything went ok.

So my theory is : You need to disable the IPV6 BEFORE you even start the Exchange 2010 setup and BEFORE the exchange perorms all the test and the pre installation tasks and/or Install IIS after you renamed the machine.

So my theory is correct , at least for my environment.

IPV6 needs to be disabled BEFORE you start exchange 2010 installation tasks or Exchange / IIS does not like the fact that I renamed the  machine after IIS was installed ?

Feel free to come with any arguments and let’s discuss this further if you feel different.

  1. October 9, 2009 at 10:15 am

    Hi, with the Exchange 2010 RC1 on Windows 2008 R2, I experienced the same problem, and thank to your post, I have the same conclusion to disable IPv6 BEFORE starting any Exchange 2010 setup!

    I put a post at http://fabienduchene.blogspot.com/2009/10/forefront-identity-manager-platform.html

    Cheers.

    Fabien Duchene

  2. 2
    July 22, 2010 at 2:48 am

    hi,

    could you please show me how to disable IPv6 on Windows Server 2008? I get same problem and could not install hub transport..

  3. Nguyen Duc Thang
    June 1, 2015 at 8:37 am

    Hi, i also had the same error when installing exchange 2013 “An error occurred with error code ‘2147504141’ and message ‘The property cannot be found in the cache.”

    But i fixed it by this way:
    – Un-install domain controller and Re-install. Don’t check to option “Create DNS delegation”
    – Before you setup exchange 2013 on Windows server 2012 R2, you need:
    – Mount/Navigate to the Exchange Server 2013 Preview Installation Media
    – Open up a Command Prompt session and type the following command:
    – “Setup.exe /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”
    – “Setup /PrepareAD /OrganizationName: /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”
    Done, and It worked perfect for me.

    Good luck!!

    • June 1, 2015 at 9:46 am

      Prepare AD and Schema should be something you do anyway before you install Exchange 2010-2013.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: